Emily - Beavercreek, Ohio

I am a teenager, filled with stories and giggles to tell. Talking is apart of my daily routine. I actually am unsure what I would do without it, and so I believe in the power of silence.

I believe in silence. The moment before you go to bed, cleaning your mind or just gathering your thoughts to write an essay. I sat down with the intention to write about the warmth of a smile, but found something more in the process.

Silence is a gift, which brings us closer to ourselves. It gives us a moment to think things through, to bring us self content. It allows us to notice the power of our other senses. Without the sense of sight, the blind are better listeners. Are those who can not hear, better at seeing simple beauty?

Silence gives us the chance to recognize the beauty of the world. If you walk silently through the woods you can hear the leaves crunching, you can feel the breeze a little better and the sun seems to shine a little brighter.

Silence is powerful in human nature as well. To sit from afar and observe the beauty of the human race, is a moment well spent. At times we are too caughet up with work, relationships and stresses to take notice of this beauty. To feel the power of an old woman’s smile, to feel the sun rise, to see a child laughing and to just enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Take a moment a day, clear your mind and just listen around you. WE live in a beautiful world, we just don’t take the time to cherish it. Value the smile of the man on a subway, words are not always important. Lay next to the person you love, listen to their heartbeat, Watch a baby sleep. You can find this peace in yourself. You can find it in silence. This I believe.