Melissa - Bartlesville, Oklahoma

A Million Hard-Backed Worlds

Take a moment and imagine a million different worlds each with its own heroes, villains, and bystanders; each with its own technology and transportation; each with its own climate and customs; each with its own landscape and language, and each with its own beliefs and beauty. This is the universe of literature. Each hard-backed world is begging to be read and discovered. This is why I believe that reading for pleasure is fundamental to life.

In this day and age, most forms of entertainment are a bit pricy; however, reading is not. In fact, I only need to purchase a book for hours of fun. It will typically range from two to thirty dollars give or take a few. Needless to say, this is much less than the cost of many sports. And when I am really in a penny-pinching mood, I can always go to the library and check a book out. It’s so simple.

With all the various topics out there to read, space travel, magic, and history to name a few, it’s easy to see that reading is just plain fun. And if that wasn’t enough, sometimes school requires me to read boring books; this cannot happen when I’m reading for fun. If a book is uninteresting or terrible, I stop reading it! I choose something else! When I have science fair, fencing, and a mountain of homework, reading lets me escape the pressures of life for a while.

Reading for fun also expands the mind. In particular, science fiction has some pretty complex concepts in it. It definitely takes some brainpower to understand what happens to time near a black hole, or the idea that things can travel at the speed of light, or even the fact that parallel universes can exist. But once I understand it, I find myself wondering what if? What if it’s possible to travel at the speed of light? How could it be done? Before I know it, a plan to make a light-speed capable ship is trying to formulate in my mind.

Reading for pleasure is cheap, fun, and it works the brain. The only question I have is why not read?