Evelyn - Oak Park, California

Everyone Deserves Respect

Walking down the street, you can see many things: both normal and weird. One thing that is sometimes likely is the cruel and inhumane ways people are treating the mentally challenged. Sometimes people don’t realize that they are doing it, but usually they do. Either way, it’s wrong.

The mentally challenged have no choice about how they are born; it has probably been with them since birth. It will also most likely follow them throughout their lives. Learning to accept the difference is the only way to conquer it.

Just because the mentally challenged aren’t exactly one’s mirror reflection, it doesn’t mean they should be treated cruelly. Put yourself in their shoes, you wouldn’t want anyone to stare at you or whisper behind your back. The reality of it all is that some know they are being treated differently.

My cousin is mentally challenged, and it’s hard for me to see the stares he gets for not looking exactly like everyone else. The stares vary from,”What is the matter with that little kid,” to,”Why does that little kid look weird.” When I was younger, I didn’t understand what those stares meant and why he was being stared at. But now I understand what those stares meant and why he was being stared at. But now I understand that the reason he was being stared at didn’t have anything to do with him as a person. The reason he was being stared at was his condition. This opened my eyes and I saw how cruel people can be if you don’t look a certain way.

We as people won’t develop if we don’t overcome this obstacle. I don’t think we’re open-minded to change and difference, but we will someday. I believe in showing mentally challenged people the kindness and respect that they deserve.