Tom Killian - 10024, New York
Age Group: 65+
Themes: equality

What do I believe? I believe we are all equal, as the Declaration of Independence claims. By equal one doesn’t mean the same, Einstein is a better mathematician than me, Jeter is a better shortstop than me, but we are equal in our value to the world (although we can’t know what that value is). We are all equal: stars, trees, cockroaches and people. Each has an equal place in the grand scheme of the world (whether that is the result of design or accident). We are all equal: Osama bin Ladin and Abraham Lincoln, the president and the homeless person begging on the subway. We are all equal: you and me.

That is where we begin. That is also where we end. From here we can perhaps make the world a more peaceful, more generous and beautiful place – at least that is the only thing worth attempting. The rest is individual effort – often at cross-purposes. That we can’t change, but we can recognize our grand, overriding equality. It’s our only hope. This is not 500 words, but it is enough.

Footnote: given the dangers of global warming, humans, like the dinosaurs, may prove to be a failed experiment, but in any case the world will continue (by world understand the universe).