Peter - Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

I believe in the transcendent power of music! As far back as I can remember, I have felt the mystery and beauty of its workings in and around me. I cannot imagine life without melody, harmony and rhythm. Despite my difficult first encounter with an accordion (an instrument I’ve grown to admire) at age six, I’ve had a constant, and frequently ecstatic relationship with music.

I suppose you can say it’s my religion. Lots of people go to churches to commune with their God, but I go the muse.

I feel certain that the profound musical meditations of our revered composers, whose works have survived the wear of time, are sonic prayers bequeathed to us by their creators. I know I have found my spirit lifted to sublime realms while listening to these divine intonations. A charming melody and a well-turned phrase in a popular tune can change my mood. What would our favorite films be without a soundtrack?

I have often thought the most useful and potent technological invention is that of sound reproduction. No wonder that dog with the phonograph looked like he was tuned in to another dimension! What could be more magical than listening to the sonorous concoctions of individuals from distant places and eras. If this isn’t an example of the whole being greater than the sum of it’s parts, then I don’t know what is! Musical ideas emerging from an assemblage of inanimate electronic paraphernalia…astounding! Putting a radio in a car was a pure stroke of genius! Give me a convertible, a good sound system, and some open road, and I’m already in heaven.

My life has been transformed by music. I don’t mean this as a metaphor, but as a literal reality. The effect of constant exposure to the vibrations of great music has nourished my body and soul. If this sounds like a preposterous claim, think about the immediate physical reaction that bombardment by unpleasant, cacophonous sounds can have on the human nervous system. Nails on a blackboard, a broken car alarm, a tone played off key…

I love music and will play, compose and listen to music until I go deaf or die. Yes I love music, and as the Beatles sang;

“All You Need Is Love”.