Dana - Boca Raton, Florida

I Believe In…

I believe that you should going into every situation expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. When these situations come up and I am overly worried about them, I take a deep breath and ask myself, “What is the worst thing that can happen?” I really understood this lesson when I was just about to start my freshman year in high school.

I know that being scared is a part of life but for me it happens very often. I get nervous for little events like going to a Bat Mitzvah by myself where I don’t know anyone except for the Bat Mitzvah girl, for auditions a week in advance, or start at a new school where I don’t know anyone.

When I was accepted to A. W. Dreyfoos, High School of the Performing Arts, I was ecstatic. I bragged to all my friends that I was going to go to school to act, and they were going to go to a regular public school to learn regular sciences. I would smile with joy when my parents told others I was going to the performing arts school. This was all fine and dandy when I had about a week to go in 8th grade and summer was just about to start.

About two weeks before high school, I started to get a little worried about going to go to high school with none of my friends. I would go to my dad and tell him how worried I was about starting at a new school with people I didn’t even know. Whatever he said never stuck into my head until the night before I had to stand on my own and start high school.

That night I had gone to him while he was flipping through the TV channels. I sat on the opposite end of the couch from him and waited until I sunk into the lush fabric and got comfortable. I turned to him, as my eyes started to water, and said, “Dad, I’m really scared I’m not going to like school and I don’t want to go to Dreyfoos. I want to go to West Boca High School with all my friends.” He turned to me and said, “Dana, come on you haven’t even started school yet and you don’t know what its like.”

He then started to explain to me my reaction of how I was the first day I took a tour of the Dreyfoos campus. He said, “Your eyes and face lit up. You said everyone here is so unique and creative, besides, what is the worst thing that could happen?” He waited for me to give him an answer, a list of all the worst things that could happen. Of course he was right and I could only think of 2 legitimate answers, and he countered both of them. This was the first time I really took his words to heart. All you have to do is think of the situation and ask yourself, “What is the worst thing that can happen?”