Anthony - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that everyone can find something in common with others, and that under certain circumstances, enemies can become friends. Throughout my life, I have had to face the challenge of meeting new people. Some of them I have liked, and some of them I have disliked. Either way, I have tried to find something in common with both. There is one memory of this that affected my life in an enormous way, and still has an impact on me today.

When I was ten years old, my aunt remarried, and brought three new people into my family. Along with her new husband came twin brothers that were about a year younger than me. My family was very close with my aunt, so I would see the twins very often. It would not have been so bad if they weren’t always getting on my nerves. All they would ever want to do is play video games. I was never very interested in video games. My parents would always push me to go play with them. As soon as I would start a game against them, they would start screaming at each other and fighting over the smallest things. One day, I couldn’t take they’re yelling anymore, so I just went outside to play basketball. Both of them followed me out. All three of us then realized that we all loved to play basketball. To this day, whenever I am with them, we are always playing basketball. I have grown very close with both of them, and we have discovered many more common interests. This one interest that all of us shared in common brought us much closer since the days when I could hardly stand having to be with them.

Ever since then, whenever I meet a new person, I always look for at least one thing we share in common. That experience has changed my life drastically. It proves that if you don’t give someone a chance, you can be giving up a lot more than you think. If my cousins had not followed me outside that one day, I might have lost out on a friendship with them that I still have today.