Ben - LaGrange, Illinois

1 October 2006

“This I Believe”

For years I followed in my older brothers footsteps, trying to be exactly like him. I loved to do the things he did, I thought of him as my role model. At a young age we were both very close to each other, but as we both started to get older we went our separate ways and did not hang out as much as we used to. And now that he is off to college I feel I did not make the most of my time with him. I realized that when I drove away from Indiana University after dropping him of for the start of college I would miss him. And for that reason I believe in keeping what you love close to you.

I am sure that if it was not for my brother, Zach, that I would not be the person I am today. For as long as I can remember he was always teaching me right from wrong, and in most cases he did what a parent usually does. As time went on we started to drift away, he got older and made friends. And it seemed like over night it was no longer cool to hang out with, let alone talk to your younger brother. I felt let down, like the past 7 or 8 years really meant nothing to him. As we both got older, myself becoming a highschooler, and him just about ending is high school career, things started to take a turn for the better. We started to have more things in common when I started at LT, we both played football, went to dances and had more to talk about. Our bond that was broken years ago was started to fuse together again, and I liked it. My freshmen year and his senior year flew by in a blur, by the end of school we were closer then ever. I hadn’t a thought in my mind about all of this ending, until I heard the words, “going away to college.” I was torn inside I knew in just a matter of months he would be leaving home, and going to IU, almost 6 hours away. I tried to make the most of what we had left, but it just did not seem like a enough. I needed, I wanted more time with him. By the end of summer, I found myself helping him pack his bags and load them into the car, I wanted to take his bags and hide them so he could not leave. I am not sure I made the most of my time I had with my brother, but I know I will never let go of the people I love.