Elizabeth - Western Springs, Illinois

25 September 2006

This I Believe…

Everyone has goals that they want to accomplish. *People have the opportunity to make the decision that < they want. *My goal, right now it to play soccer. That is what I want and that has been what I have known for ages. *But /, can you hold onto your goal +no matter what comes in the way of it? *My goal has hit roadblocks in the past three years. I haven’t been able to play the sport that I have loved. *For the last + three falls, I have torn my ACL, a ligament in my knee. *Three tears, / and two surgeries / put my life on hold. The challenges of these injuries make me wonder if I should give up soccer. *When I found out that I had torn my ACL for the first time, I knew that my passion would be put on hold for awhile. * I wasn’t sure of what I wanted. I asked myself,* “Is this something that I should give up or / is this something that I need in my life?” + E v e r y time I played soccer, I would be putting myself at risk. Once you have torn your ACL, *it can easily happen again. *So, / + I answered this question. Yes,/* yes,< I would be putting myself at risk, *but I wanted to play. Then/ this summer came along, and/ I tore my ACL once again for the +third time. I got the second surgery and now I’m in physical therapy because I +do want to play. *You may think this is crazy. *Sometimes I think the same thing. * I wonder if I’m doing the right thing. <”Should I be putting myself in the same position year after year?” The answer is/…>*I don’t know.

*One of the things that I have learned from this, is that even though sticking to a goal is something important to me/; *goals can change. I can make it change. Even though I love soccer and I would love to play, I wondered if there was only one way to go. *But there are other choices. I may change my goal because it is what would be right for my health. There are factors in dreams that I need to be aware of. I need to choose what is right for me. *soft voice

• __ (underlined) words that are emphasized

• / means to pause

• + means high pitch

• S p r e a d o u t w o r d s mean, talking slowly