Rachel - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I am faced with choices every day. I am just fifteen years old. I am too young to

have my life planned out, but too old to be undecided. I am old enough to be intimidated by the

future, but too young to be afraid. I am fifteen years old. I believe in self-confidence.

I grew up in a home where I was taught to believe in myself before anything else.

However, while I was being pushed into this self-confident mold, I realized I wasn’t so confident in myself. I was so afraid that if I made one mistake it would lead to many others. I became terrified of trying new things because I was so afraid of failing.

My mind was soon obsessed with the thought of failure. My athletic career went down

the drain. I was too afraid to play the sports I loved. My academic career also descended. I was

so obsessed with trying to succeed at everything I did, I was too afraid to actually try.

Every day became a routine for me. I only experienced things that I had already done,

things I knew I could do. I was only 13 years old and I was already bored with my life. I was unhappy, I could not believe what I had let myself become! This was the beginning of my teenage years! I was supposed to be experiencing new things, growing, developing, and most of all, I was supposed to be finding myself, figuring what I wanted out of my life. Instead, I feared change, I was afraid of trying to adjust to a new environment, and to new situations. I

was so insecure, I wouldn’t allow myself to grow or develop, I thought my “routine” was

working just fine; it wasn’t . I had completely lost myself.

Finally, I realized something that will always be important to me- it is okay to fail.

Being self-confident is allowing yourself to grow, develop and experience new things with the

risk of failing. I think that a person is defined by their ability to stand back up after a hard fall,

and this, I believe, is self-confidence.