Sonya - kinston, North Carolina
Themes: work

The Relentless Pursuit of Life, September 11, 2006. I believe in the relentless pursuit of life. I believe that people, who are thirsty for life, chase after whatever they believe will quench their thirst. I played sports throughout my entire elementary and high school years. I worked very hard to pursue my dreams of one day entering college. I finally made it in 1996 when I entered North Carolina Agriculture and Technical State University. Entering college at the age of 22 I was very excited and happy to be there.

Dropping out of school, I came back home to my family where I could focus on me. Starting back to school the same month I came home, I received an Associate’s degree in my home town at a community college. Now I believed I was on the right track. I decided to enter school at East Carolina University. Sounds good, but then I received a letter in the mail stating that my grade point average was not high enough to be admitted. I had to go back to the community college to pull up my grades. I am very confused as to how and why if I believe in something and want something so much why I must go through all the life obstacles to get there. I still decided to continue on because I believe in the pursuit of life whole-heartedly. Now I am at East Carolina University for my first year but my fourth year as a college student. I still was determined to finish and pursue my dreams. I decided to declare my major in the Education department as I had longed to become a school teacher. My advisor explained to me that there were some things in my background that would probably prohibit me from teaching. As that semester passed I enrolled in my counseling classes, however I discovered I was pregnant. Now I was 26years old with a healthy, baby boy. I had not yet completed my journey but all in the same breath I still believed in relentless pursuit. Now at the age of 28, I am about to graduate but there is one more obstacle that I must endure before finishing. I must now take the state board test to become a teacher. I took the test three times missing it by small amounts of points; I began to question my determination and hard work. Once again my advisor told me that my funds were running out and due to my scores she suggested I go another route. Now I am twenty-seven years old, still here but not giving up on life. I was informed that I had to switch my major, and go an extra year and a half to finish.

At the age of twenty-eight I am still determined to finish. I have been in school for ten years. When you believe in the pursuit of life and happiness, time is of essence and you adapt and continue to strive.