Allison - Winnetka, Illinois

I Believe in…Fun

“F is for friends that do stuff together/ U is for you and me/ N is for anywhere at anytime at all/ Down here in the deep blue sea” –Spongebob Squarepants

What would the world be like without fun? Would we as a human race survive? What would we do outside of school and work? Would we just sit on a couch staring at a wall? We would never be able to survive without fun because fun is the essence of life.

Each person has a different opinion on what fun is. By definition, fun is what provides amusement or enjoyment (Merriam Webster’s Online Dictionary). I prefer Spongebob’s definition. His message is clear and simple.

“F is for friends who do stuff together” Friends are a key factor in fun. They go along with our crazy schemes, such as dancing at 10:00 at night on a street corner to no music. They listen to us laugh, even if it is the most annoying laugh in the world. They enjoy making new fun memories, like going into a cooking store just to eat the free food so you don’t have to buy food at the Food Court. They are all about having fun. That is what a friend is for.

“U is for you and me” “You” can mean anyone that you are with, as long as you are enjoying their company. If I was with someone who I really disliked, I might not be having fun. But if I am with friends or family I know that I will have a good time. You and I don’t have to mean yin and yang. It just means that we enjoy being together and laughing with one another.

“N is for anywhere at anytime at all” Fun can be found anywhere at anytime. It can be found in watching a sappy movie or going on a roller coaster. It can be at 3 in the morning or 7 at night. Fun can be found in a mall or in a basement. This means that we have fun together wherever we go and anytime we are there.

I believe in fun because I believe without it, we wouldn’t live. If fun didn’t happen, we wouldn’t have spontaneity. I love spontaneity. It’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys!