Cameron - Lagrange, Illinois
Themes: work

I believe that hard work builds character. Because of this, I do a lot of it. I have always been commended for my “terrific” work ethic. As I have gotten older, I have steadily started working more and more. By the time I reached my freshman year, I was essentially working a ten hour work day. Between school, homework, the 5 jobs I have, and the work that is required of me from living in my house, I would be working non stop almost ten hours a day. I would arrive at school at 7 in the morning, stay at school until 3 in the afternoon, and then go to work until 5. After that, I’d get home and start to chisel away at my massive piles of homework that was the result of signing up for honors English. On the weekends, I would work from 8 to 2 on Saturdays, and on Sunday I would do my homework and work on or clean cars.

Throughout my life, I have found that in almost every case, when kids are not taught what it means to work early on in life, they become lazy later on in life. Also, I find that their parents have trouble getting them to do what they are asked. For example, I spend my summers working for a family that lives down the lake from me. The father in this family has never asked his daughters to do anything, and now that they are in their teens, he can’t get them to do anything. Thus, he hired me to do anything and everything that they won’t. Unfortunately, these kids are extremely sheltered from what work is really like, which means that they won’t end up doing as well in life as they would had they been taught some discipline by their parents.

In my opinion, when you don’t work hard enough, or discipline yourself, you are losing out on experiences that would help to shape you into an upstanding individual, who knows how to work hard when necessary.