Payal - Greensboro, North Carolina

While working one evening at a nursing home, one of the residents approached me and began talking to me. She began to tell me how she was waiting for her daughters. She was planning to go home, but in reality, she was not going anywhere.

Experiencing this situation completely startled me. In my culture we believe that as a child our parents take care of us and we are their priority. As we get older and our parents start to age, we, as their children, should take care of them and do all that we can for them as they did for us. Our parents never think twice about spending the money on their kids since they expect and know their kids would give the world to them in the end.

Our parents do so much for us from the day we are born till the day they cannot do anything else for us. I know my parents; will work till they truly can’t work anymore to make money for us so we never run into any financial problems. As they age I know that placing our parents in a nursing home is not even an option. It would not matter how sick, disabled or old they are, I would not have the heart to place my parents in a home.

Most nursing homes don’t tend to treat elders with the respect they deserve and expect to get. Whenever I see any of this it hurts me so much. I feel one should get treated as you would want to be treated.

I never really understood why anymore would want to leave their parents in a home that’s not even yours. How can a person be too busy to take care of their own parents? When we were children no matter how busy they were, we always came first. I believe placing any parent in a nursing home, is just like disrespecting a parent. If I was ever too busy to take care of my parents I would hire a private nurse. In my opinion my parents should be able to spend the last bit of their lives with their loved ones, which are those who care for them the most and treat them with the utmost respect.