Tyler - La Grange, Illinois

I believe that childhood is the best time of a person’s life.

When I was younger, and I assume most of you were the same as me, I was very carefree. After all, I was just a little kid trying to take in everything and get a grip on the world. I would run around and my parents and grandparents would watch me. My brothers, my sisters and I would do whatever we wanted. Of course the commonly believed reason they watched us was because they needed to make sure we didn’t get into any trouble, but, I think it was because they were fascinated with us. Yes, they did experience first hand childhood also, but it was no longer as familiar to them. They miss being stress free and being able to enjoy the most simple pleasures that would bring a smile to a child’s face.

There is one incident that sticks out in my memories. It was, actually, a reoccurring incident in my childhood. Just rolling down a hill, as plain and simple as it sounds, I was a kid. Not having any responsibilities was what made rolling down that hill so enjoyable. Knowing that at the bottom of the hill homework wasn’t waiting for me, pressure and stress, were not waiting for me.

You see childhood is all about absorbing new things. You take your time and get to know what you want to know. No one is pressuring you to finish this paper, or take that class, to drink that beer, or to smoke that pot. It is a time that is all about you and what you want. A time that is innocent and pure. As a child I could do what I wanted, learn what I wanted to learn and take my time to actually enjoy what is going on around me, because after child hood I may have vacations, and I my still have fun but there will never be those moments where I just don’t have any priorities, pressures, anything, but time to just be happy and to just be me.