Donna - Roxboro, North Carolina

I believe you can start over again as a middle-aged person. I did. Sometimes you have to take that step of faith and jump off a ledge, so to speak. Some people call me “brave” – I think that I had to believe in myself to do it.

This is how it began for me. After living in Canada for 24 years and working as a high school administrative assistant, I had a desire to change jobs. But what to do? I had earned a Master’s degree in Library Science directly after I graduated from college and worked as a librarian for a while. Then I moved to Canada.

When I began to think about changing careers, I thought of library work but “Can I do it? Is my degree too out of date?” With the encouragement of friends, I started applying. Writing a resume, filling out applications – that in itself is a full-time job. And then – facing the dreaded interview – something I hadn’t done in a long time. A friend’s daughter helped me by doing a “mock” interview – then we critiqued it. She told me she would hire me – that was encouraging. Another “practice” interview with a friend’s husband was tougher – I knew what I had to work on.

I was pleased when I landed a job. Of course I was willing to re-locate – that was part of the process. It involved moving back to the U.S. and once I found a place to live and moved, I had to do all the things like get a driver’s license and find a bank, a doctor, a dentist, etc. Plus I had left a whole social network of friends. I moved to a town where I knew no one and I was 700 miles from family and friends. Was it rough at times? I’ll admit that it was. Was I lonely? Yes. But the satisfaction I received from working in a job in my field of study gave me a lift. Starting over again at 51? Yes, you can do it. I did it – and I believe you can too – give it a try.