Ellie - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that laughter is the essence of reality. As e e cummings once said, “The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” This is the perfect quote to describe my childhood. Every year, my family would spend an entire day with our extended family on the farm in DeKalb. From sunup to sundown, I would laugh. The trigger to my laughter was my dad’s uncle, Paul.

Uncle Paul is a true farmer. He wears the overalls and the trucker hat, and always seems to have a piece of grass in his mouth. He loves to tell the kids his stories about his daily farm life which is always exciting. It is unbelievable how well he can relate to kids, even though he is in his eighties and is from a completely different generation. Don’t get me wrong, though, he loves to chide us about how spoiled our generation is, and how we will all die from too much cheese. His charisma is unmatchable; everyone is always hooked on what he has to say. No matter the audience, Uncle Paul is making them laugh.

My fondest memories of my days on the farm are when I spent time with Uncle Paul. I will never forget the day when I was about six years old and I laughed so hard my mouth hurt. Uncle Paul was blowing bubbles and popping them by clapping his hands together. Though it may seem childish, to a little kid it was hilarious. He did this for hours on end, blowing and clapping. I remember him showing me how to do it, and me laughing hysterically every time I did it. I can still her Uncle Paul saying “By golly Ellie, you’ve got it!” Now when I go to the picnic, I still see Uncle Paul blowing bubbles and clapping with the younger kids and saying “By golly, you’ve got it!”

Though my years of blowing bubbles on the farm are long gone, I hope to never forget my memories of the time I spent simply laughing with my Uncle Paul. I never have and probably never will have another innocent experience like that one due to the fact that I no longer appreciate the plain joy of popping a bubble. I will, however, not allow myself to forget the days of pure hilarity on the farm. I will always stand by my belief that laughter is the true essence of reality, and without it we are incomplete.