Kaitlyn - Countryside, Illinois

In the dictionary, the definition of a quitter is someone who gives up easily. Most people in out society also believe that. They wonder how you can know what you feel about something quickly, and they believe it’s not possible. I disagree with that. I believe that most quitters are simply people who have strong opinions and know what they don’t want. I tend to know what my opinions are instantly, and they usually don’t change.

When I was 4 years old, my mom enrolled me in a cooking class at my preschool. The first day I went we made cheese sandwiches. Even as a 4-year-old, I thought that was pretty stupid. Cooking is actually making something, not just putting a piece of cheese on some bread. I had hoped to make something like ants on a log or peanut butter and banana sandwiches, something that had to be prepared. Now, I know it was just the first day, but I could tell that this wasn’t the class for me, so I quit. Some people may call me a quitter in a bad sense and say I didn’t even give it a chance, but staying in the class would have made me miserable. I would have gone expecting something fun, but every day would probably have been something similar. Maybe the second day I would have made a ham and cheese sandwich.

Later, when I was in fourth grade, I took a jazz dance class. I didn’t like the class that much from the beginning, but I stayed for the duration. After that I had had enough. I quit taking jazz classes. I had enjoyed the people in the class; they were all nice, but the actual dancing was not fun. I’m not a great dancer and I could not do any of the steps of the routine very well. I knew that I could find something that I liked to do and that had people to talk with, so why take the class? I knew I didn’t want to do something that I wasn’t able to do just to be with my friends. Continuing with dance classes again would have been a waste of my time.

Many other people have quit things they didn’t want to do too. People who quit smoking, drinking and working aren’t giving up easily like the dictionary defines them as doing. Those people had to work hard to quit, especially the people who’ve worked their whole lives and are retiring, which is quitting, but it is not easy. Quitters work just as hard as most other people, that’s why I believe quitters don’t give up easily.