Phillip - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: addiction

Drinking Under the Influence Kills

“How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home liquor mixing course, and I forgot how to drive?” by Matt Groaning. I have never been in this situation and hopefully you haven’t either.

Everyone talks about drinking and driving and yet it is still a conflict among humanity. Over 25,000 people a year die to the cause of drunk driving and my uncle came close to being one of those people.

In October of 2001, I was in the car listening to my mom talk on the phone. “It’s in the paper?” she had said as I started to wonder. I ended up reading in the paper that my uncle, Ryan Dorrance, had been driving under the influence of alcohol. He had gotten pulled over for speeding then as the cop got out and came closer to his car, he accelerated and ran from the cops. He didn’t stop and it became a high speed chase. It lasted three minutes then he had got into an 80mph head on collision. As I kept reading I found out that as the police searched the car, they found a bottle of hard liquor, marijuana and that the car was stolen.

The next few days, we went to the hospital and I heard the doctor tell my mom that my uncle had broken many bones and that he might not be able to ever walk again. As I was standing there looking at my uncle in the bed I started to think. This world is warned over and over and some how we still don’t understand that drinking and driving is something that u do not want to learn the hard way. The worst part about it, is that kids of sixteen and seventeen years of age drink and drive with others in the car, not only risking their own lives but others.

My uncle is doing very well and he is walking just fine. He didn’t suffer any permanent damages, but the people that he crashed into did. The wife had to get her leg amputated. I know he is not happy about this decision that changed his life, but he can’t change it now. I don’t think of my uncle as a bad person, after that accident, it lead me to understand that getting drunk is bad, especially while driving. I know what can happen to you and I don’t want to take the chance. Hopefully you use this as a lesson and never drink and drive. This I believe.