Ian - Centennial, Colorado

There have been many occurrences in my life in which somebody does something wrong and I feel the need to correct them. Sometimes if the same person makes the same mistakes over and over again, they’ll say “It’s not my fault, it’s just who I am;” But I couldn’t disagree with them more.

Whether you’re mean, shy, or academically challenged, you can always change who you are. I was a very shy child back in fourth grade, and the other children treated me differently, but not in a bad way. They were always trying to encourage me to do things with them; they were trying to make me more comfortable. Over the years those children became my friends, but they kept treating me the same way, even though I wasn’t shy anymore. They still viewed me as “That new shy kid.” Eventually I figured out what was going on, so I decided to switch schools to get a fresh start.

At my new school, I made many friends, and I wasn’t nearly as shy as I was back in 4th grade. I was treated the same way as everyone else. Unfortunately, I made a very rude comment toward one of my classmates, and everybody hated me because of what I said. I tried to apologize, but they wouldn’t forgive me. It was then that I realized I had to change schools yet again. Now I’m at Arapahoe High School, and everything is going pretty smoothly. Right now I am much different than whom I was in 4th grade.

You are never tied down to who you are now. You can always change, no matter what’s wrong with you. You are not born with a permanent personality. You can change whenever you want, as long as you believe you can.