Tanner - Charlott, North Carolina
Themes: setbacks

I believe that life is not fair.

My aunt became terminally ill when she was six years old. She passed away when she was twelve. Why is one person forced to lose their life, while others waste theirs away? There is no fairness in that.

I am not here to complain about what is fair and what is unfair. We can all distinguish the obvious, I am merely stating it. Fairness is in the eye of the beholder in some cases, while other times we all know what is truly unfair. Each person goes through a day when something happens to them that he or she will consider to be unfair. That something can be big or small, it may affect them for a few minutes or for the rest of their life. People who are not actually guilty are convicted of crimes. Innocent people are killed every day. I could list endless examples or reasons of why life is not fair. Is it because of fate or is it God’s work that people like my aunt are taken away, and if so, why?

There is no fairness in death (except for old age), nor war, nor injury, nor pain. It is not one person’s fault that life is unfair; it has been that way forever. To tell the truth, I had no intention of writing such a serious and foreboding essay. That just isn’t my style. I would have preferred to have written a much more laid back, casual essay. But since life isn’t fair, you had to listen to my moping and I had to write it. Life just isn’t fair, is it?