Kim - Indianola, Iowa
Themes: work

I believe in the power of hard work. It can take you places you never thought you could go. What some people lack in God-given talent can be made up for with a little extra drive and determination. Someone who is more talented, intelligent or established can always be brought down by someone less talented, gifted, or established with good old hard work.

I have never been the smartest person in the room or gifted with an IQ above 120. I am just your average all-American girl. The only difference between me and others is that I try extremely hard with most tasks placed in front of me. No one is perfect or gives 100% all the time in every situation but I like to think I do at least about 90% of the time.

All of my achievements in school and on the playing field are not from natural talent. My parents and teammates can surely attest to that. I have always had the belief that I have to work ten times harder than the next person to even break even. I did not graduate salutatorian from my high school class on a whim. I was at school most mornings around 7:00 A.M. getting help from my math teacher or asking other students for help. I could not stand the thought of missing one problem on an assignment or not understanding a key concept.

I am also not the world’s greatest runner but I put in a lot of time and effort when I first started to compete in cross country my junior year of high school. I do not think I even ran over a mile before I decided to join the team. Although I never won a race or came even remotely close to winning, it was a great experience for me. My times improved throughout the season, and I felt really good about myself. The process was not easy but I got a sense of satisfaction that through hard work I was able to accomplish things I never before thought I could.

Hollywood has had this figured this out a long time ago. Who wants to hear the story about a person who has everything handed to them on a silver platter? Most movies are about someone who has overcome obstacles and setbacks through their dedication and hard work. Movie audiences find this inspiring. And so do I.