Holt - Dallas, Texas

My name is Holt [name deleted], and I am 13. When I was 10 my grandfather died. At first all I thought had died was him. But as I thought about it I realized it’s not just the person that we grieve for. I believe we grieve also for their talents and experiences because that is what makes up a person. What I mean to say is I believe a person is what they do. When I grieved for my grandfather I grieved for his kindness, his witty humor, and all the weird stories he used to tell me. Another time when I looked back on what I remember I realized something similar to when my grandfather died. I though back on everything I did and I realized that I, or anyone else, could very well be a robot. I know it sounds ridiculous but it’s true. I could be a robot with my memories programmed in and I would think I was just the same. I would never know because my experiences, what makes me up, would be the same. A person is what a person does. This I believe.