Carol - Cedar Hill, Texas

Another year of school has come, and that means the annoyance of homework, the groans from taking quizzes, and the anxiety of the exams. However, when it comes to most students, they are mainly worried about the social side of school, and their rank in social status. This targets the new students, because they will least likely have any friends if they do not have self-confidence. I believe that a person must have self-confidence to make new friends, because otherwise they will suffer loneliness.

The biggest jump in school life is leaving elementary school and going to a new middle school. When I came to Bishop Dunne, I did not make new friends, because I thought I was going to be just fine with the friends I had that came to Bishop Dunne. My friends and I would always sit together at lunch, and we also had classes together. For the first two months, I had nothing to worry about.

Then one day, I got punched in the face by the cruelty of real life. I realized that my old friends were drifting away, because they made new friends and had found lives of their own. I became a loner and almost every single day I sat by myself at lunch. During group projects, my old friends would pick their new friends instead of me. After school, I would stand near a group, so I could be present but not noticed. I knew that I was not going to waste my middle school life without any friends, so I had to do something about it.

I told my sister one time, “Maybe, I wasn’t meant to have friends.”

She told me, “A life without friends is no life at all.”

If I could not make friends in my grade, I had to make friends in the high school. Every morning, I would go into the high school and walk around and try to make new friends, and every new person that I met, increased my self-confidence. Soon, I had many friends in the high school, so I never got lonely in the morning or the afternoon. I have learned to cope with not having friends in my grade, since I knew it was going to be that way for a while.

At Orientation for my ninth grade year, I planned to take advantage to meeting the new students to make them feel welcome. I was sitting in the auditorium, waiting for a new student to arrive. Then I saw someone, whom I did not recognize, come through the door. She stood there, and waited for someone to approach her. I stood up, walked towards her, and began a small conversation. I had total self-confidence and I made sure that she felt comfortable with the new school. Throughout the day, she and other new students became my friends. Without my self-confidence, I would suffer loneliness not only now, but for the rest of my life. This I believe.