Leah - South Daytona, Florida

I believe there is not a stronger person on Earth than my Mother. She inspires me every day to be the best person and mother I can be.

When I was about ten, my parents divorced and my mother worked many jobs some at the same time to support me and my two sisters. I watched her struggle not letting on that I knew about the sacrifices she was making. No matter how many hours she worked she always made me feel that I was the most important thing in her life.

On April 19, 1998 at 12:14AM I almost lost her. She was now a police officer for Daytona Bach and doing what she loved. On a weekend we know as Black College Reunion she was involved in a shooting. She was shot at close range. Lucky she was wearing her vest and the metal plate over her heart was able to stop the bullet. I was not notified by a phone call or someone at my door; I had to see her getting into an ambulance on the morning news. That is a day I will never forget.

From that day on I realized my mother was not invincible like we all assume they are. I began not thinking of her as the one that grounded me or came to school in uniform to make sure I was attending my classes but a person. I realized exactly how much and what she meant to me.

I now strive to be the same kind of mother. By taking my daughter to church and helping her pray I am instilling my faith to my daughter as my Mother did with me. Teaching and showing her the way we should live and act. But most of all I don’t take for granted the time I have whether it is two weeks or 50 years. My mother is in a sense my hero. She is the one I look to even now for guidance, understanding, approval and love. One of my proudest moments was with my mother and she told me I was a good mother and she was proud of me and who I had become.

My Mother is a person with incredible strength and values. She is the one that has taught me not to take less in life than what I deserve. I learned from her that a mother’s love is unconditional and forgiving no matter what happens. I believe in my Mother.