Andi - Pendleton, South Carolina

Cause and Effect

It seems to me that the single greatest common denominator to every conflict, misunderstanding, or problem in the world can be wrapped up in one sentence:

We don’t see that there are consequences for what we do, say or think.

When I was young I didn’t think beyond the moment. I would lie to my parents to save myself from immediate punishment – though down the road – I would unquestionably suffer much greater wrath.

I look around me now and I see this kind of mentality everywhere.

We’re critical of employers who seek overseas labor. If you were in business, trying to make a profit, and you could get it done for $5 or $10 less an hour – what decision would you make?

You’re from another country, living in America, and you make no attempt to learn English, or you dress in foreign garb in public – and you resent that many people are not so comfortable around you.

You’re a supervisor and you don’t treat your staff with respect; you’re surprised when they don’t perform as well as other employees.

As a country or a region, you claim that peace is what you want. Then a faction within your country or region blows themselves and a number of other people to bits – in the name of religious freedom. You’re surprised that your credibility is now being questioned.

You’re a public figure and you get caught committing a criminal act – or just saying something you shouldn’t – then you deny what you did. Your ratings immediately go down in the poles; how’d that happen?

And possibly worst of all – You’re a parent and you allow your children to see you lie, cheat, steal, do drugs, commit adultery – pick any one or all of the above – and then expect them to grow up to be outstanding citizens.

I must confess I’m guilty of this lack of ‘connecting the dots’ myself – we like to say it’s human nature. But I think that’s a copout. I believe that seeing this phenomena for what it is (if only we could) would be more enlightening than anything else I can imagine.