Alyson - Haymarket, Virginia

I believe that you need to have your eyes opened to see what actually goes on in this hectic world of ours.

Many people do not see half the hateful things that go on every day because they don’t want to. I find the world I live in to be too hard to handle sometimes. You watch the news and a little girl is kidnapped, raped, and killed. For what reason, I believe the reason is because people don’t grasp the concept that these events actually occur. You never think something that bad would happen to you, but the fact is that the people it happens to, have the same thoughts. People don’t realize that in our world, there are a ton of people that do not care at all; things just don’t make a difference.

About six months ago my eyes were opened to the cruelty in our world. I was going in to school late one morning and my mom had to stop at the post office. I sat in the car and applied my make-up while I was waiting for her to get back. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an old man using the side of the car as a sort of walking aid. I thought nothing of it except that he was a sweet old man and kept on applying my make-up. In the next instant the man disappeared, I looked down the hood of the car and all around me but couldn’t see him anywhere!

I knew I didn’t imagine it so I dropped what I was doing and got out of the car to see if I could find him. He was down on the floor because he had fallen. I helped him up and tried to keep him from falling again. The man could not walk on his own at that point and had told me that he just got out of the hospital. The first thing that crossed my mind was how this man got here, so I asked him. He told me that his daughter had picked him up from the hospital and drove him down to the post office. I asked him where she was now. He proceeded to tell me that she was across the parking lot in the car but she was too stubborn to help her dad because she thought he still belonged in the hospital.

I could not believe the words that this man uttered out of his mouth. His own daughter was right there watching him fall to the floor because he could not walk. She just left him on his own because she was mad at him. The only thing that I could think was that she really did not care what happened to him. I knew there were people that didn’t care, but I could never actually picture someone like that. This occurrence in my life opened my eyes to the world I actually live in.