Katie - Charlotte, North Carolina

While I sit here writing an essay my mom is at the Charlotte Airport picking up my dad who we haven’t seen for three weeks. He will only be here until Sunday, and then we have to wait another three weeks to see him again. That is what it is like when we move around the world. In his absence, my mother takes on his role as well as her own, which is always a strain on her sanity. How does this connect with what I believe in. That is simple. I believe in the power of family. I believe that even when my father is half way across the world, he still influences my life. Even when my mom is beyond stressed out because she still can’t get a bank account, and our furniture has yet to arrive, she seems almost relaxed… almost.

This is the power of family. When everyone is working to help each other, and trying hard to make everyone else in the family feel good. I think that when you can turn to someone who will always be on your side, you have a very powerful ally for life. Friends are great, and amusing at times, but friends change so much over the years… or with every new move that they just aren’t as reliable as the people you live with, and who are always there. I think an ally as strong as a parent can get you through anything, because most of the time the mistakes you make are mistakes your parents made when they were growing up. With older siblings I am sure it is almost, if not exactly, the same. I have a younger brother. Although we fight, and argue and fight some more, if it ever came down to it I know he would be there for me, and I know if he ever need me I wouldn’t even have to think about it.

Even though other beliefs might change over time, as I am sure they will, the strength of family is something that can never be replaced. I can only hope that if i ever have kids I can give them the reassurance that my parents have given me. And this I truly believe!