Katie - Seminole,

“I Believe”

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Had I not experienced grief and other obstacles, I would not have learned how to overcome them. In order to become a better person, I gave up old friends and activities in which I participated. Through all of the obstructions I have faced in my life, I have learned that, no matter what, there was always someone by my side.

My life began to spiral downhill at around the age of fifteen or sixteen. I started to hang out with the wrong crowd. They abused themselves, mentally and physically. Although I never participated in the incredibly foolish acts of this group, the guilt of knowing the whole time, it just was not me…or right stayed with me. There was always that voice inside of me that told me I was not raised that way. I never actually enjoyed hanging out with these people, for I was just too overwhelmed with the guilt of knowing the deception I was committing was wrong. Some of the people I hung out with were in the sports I used to play, so within the next couple of years, I quit. Although it took me awhile to drop my old habits and friends, I somehow found the strength within me to do it. As a result, I have gained a sense of dignity and respect with my self and my peers. I am no longer ashamed or guilty of the person I am and have become. I am proud of the people I associate with and they are a model for me to look up to, rather than to look down on. My friends have introduced to me to a better way of life-Christianity-and I feel that through my family, friends, and faith, will become an ongoing and loyal Christian for the rest of my life. Had I not had such a loving, supportive family, I might not have changed for the better, therefore, leading to my belief that everything happens for a reason.