Steer Fear

Allison - Metairie/La/70003, Louisiana
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in being unafraid of life; in order to live, one has to steer their fear.

Thinking back to fourth grade?My dad was cutting the grass while I was rolling around barefoot in the front yard. I was practicing for cheerleading tryouts that day. Dad was the make believe judge, and I had to put on my very best performance for him. He told me “The only way you’re making my team is if you do a flip”. Completely afraid, I replied, “Dad, are you out of your mind? What happens when I break my arm?” He than begin to say, “Baby, if you break your arm, you get a cast. Fear is just an emotion so don’t let it stand in the way of you’re dreams?just steer it. Run fast, and throw all your fear into the air; just trust me.”

That day, I did my first flip.

People who aren’t as fortunate to have learned how to guide this dangerous emotion have trouble resisting the temptation of following set standards. I believe fear holds people back. Scared to stand out from the crowd, many go along with the “ins” of society. In other words, fear can be substituted with submission. People are held to the expectations of neighbors and follow the norm to be considered “sane”. Why fear being unique? Why fear being different? Why do most fear being noticed?

I believe that because of fear, people resist change. Change is a natural process of growth, but fear on the other hand is a killer. It kills chances. Fear blocks dreams from becoming reality. It crushes any chance of achieving greatness because it doesn’t allow the opportunity to try.

That’s why today, I take risks. I believe in living in the moment, not thinking of the future. All I do is close my eyes, and steer my fear into something great! Now, it’s my job to drive the fear out of you!