Be a Good Teammate

Bridgette - Alexandria, Kentucky
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in always being a good teammate. Throughout my life, whether it was in the classroom, on the soccer field, basketball court, track, or just around my peers, I have chosen to lead by example. To me, this is when leadership is the most effective and genuine. Actions truly do speak louder than words.

Thus far my college experience has clarified the importance of being a good teammate. To say that the first two weeks of college were not easy is an understatement. Nothing went as planned: I did not join a sorority, a mold infestation invaded my dorm room, and I felt very alone. I lacked a team when I needed one most. But I realized that although things were not in line with my “perfect” plan, God was nearby with a hidden masterpiece and patiently waiting to reveal it. I soon realized that I have grown the greatest, learned the most, and really grasped an understanding for the awesomeness of God when times are not easy. I told myself to just hang on, God is never late.

I decided to pursue an adventure and try something completely new to me. Without any prior experience and after a week-long tryout, I made the University of Louisville Women’s Rowing team. The coach of the novice team immediately became an inspiration. Although she has a petite stature, her character is one of the greatest I have ever seen. She is passionate, dedicated, and understanding. I was beyond thrilled to be part of a solid team of great girls led by a fantastic coach. On the first official day of practice, the rules were clearly established: 1) go to class, 2) be a good teammate, and 3) do the work. The last two rules were broad because they applied to rowing and beyond. Do the work and be a good teammate, everywhere and all the time.

There have already been occasions in my college experience where I have found myself in situations where too much responsibility has fallen on my shoulders. But I have never faltered, nor shaken. Instead, I have remembered these three rules and applied them to my life. Even when I am out with friends, and am far way from the boathouse, “always be a good teammate” reminds in the front of my mind and applies to life in the entirety. The purpose of a team is to bring each other up, and no one gets left behind. All teammates have something to share. So why not share it? Why not be a good teammate? One of the best things about the human experience is sharing it with others. If you don’t have anyone to share life with, then what is its meaning? My goal is to bring my teammates, all children of God, closer to heaven. We’re all on the same team. A successful team is the result of always following rule number two: be a good teammate.