Shannon - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem

This I believe…

Take a deep breath. Let it out slowly and completely. Shake down your shoulders, soften your fingers, and feel the ground beneath your feet. Take another deep breath, inhaling the aroma of the room, and feel the breeze, coolness or warmth, sunlight or shade that surrounds your body. Take a third deep breath and imagine you can blow away the busy-ness in your mind with your exhalation. One more breath and feel yourself enter Present Time.

Present Time is that powerful place where our senses present us with accurate information about the inner and outer worlds. This I Believe…that Present Time is the most powerful place on the planet.

I was gifted with this understanding and belief through my work as a massage therapist. Ideally, a massage is received in centered silence and given with full focus on the client. I have learned that when my attention wanders while giving a massage, I should simply take a deep breath and focus on my hands, the strokes, the skin, and, pressing into the musculature, how the body opens to my touch. This attention to my breathing and my senses helps me shift my focus out of my head and into my hands. Breathing is my way back to Present Time.

The path to the Present starts with the rhythm of breath, moves through the sensations of the physical, and beyond the busy-ness of the mind. Using the breath, with deep inhalation and profound exhalation, we become aware of our physical sensations. Muscles soften more completely with each breath cycle and, as the hold of our muscles relaxes, the hold of our thoughts releases.

Present Time is the space which those who meditate seek. It is the means to the free flow of chi. It is the key to equanimity. When we are Present we are clear and calm…neither distracted by the Past, nor planning for the Future. Outside the constraints of Past and Future, our vision clears to see beyond theory and logic, judgment and separation, “shoulds” and “should nots”… We are able to respond to “what is.” We are response-able…responsible!

The “best things in life are free” and Present Time is one of those gifts, like air, water, smiles, and love. Being Present, after all, is just a breath away!