William - Santa Monica, California
Age Group: 65+
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

I believe in the benefits of volunteering. Some 40 years ago I was recruited to serve on a “Teen Hot-Line” by a close friend. Since then I have continued to volunteer in one venue or another. I have served the following “Special Olympics”, “The Wellness Community”, “Los Angeles Breast Cancer Alliance”, “Revlon Run-Walk” my grandchildren’s elementary schools, both as a tutor and in class helper.

In all these efforts the joy of doing something

which gives me self satisfaction.

I am always leary of those volunteers, that participate because they want to “Help”. It reminds me of the story of a monkey that walks into a room and sees a goldfish in a bowl, he runs over stating I want to help you , and save you from drowning, and with that removes the goldfish from the bowl.

I am also reminded of what the founder of The Wellness Community, Harold Benjamin told me “Volunteers live longer”