Rebekah - ontario, California
Themes: hope

I believe that without hope there is no point to life. If you have nothing to live for, or hope after then what is the point? People put there hope in a variety of things from religion to the lottery. Some people fall into the state of mind where they feel there is no hope. These feeling are often accompanied by bouts of depression and suicidal thoughts. I am one of those people. I was raised in a strong Christian home, so I had been nurtures in the belief of Jesus being Savior and the fact that I believed in him meant I was going to heaven. In eighth grade I got to the point where life had become boring and I couldn’t see any possible way of it getting better. My hope for the future rested in heaven where I was sure life would be much more fulfilling. In a desperate attempt to speed up my biological clock to the end of my life I took 2500 mg of acetaminophen. As so as I swallowed the last pill I began to realize that there might still be something to live for. My dad came into my room to say goodnight and I ashamedly confessed what I had done. After an ambulance ride to the Emergency room and a 4 day stay at a hospital in La Hambra, I found myself back home with surrounded by people who loved me. Although I have never again gone to that extreme (primarily due to the promises made to many friends and family) I still am on a quest to find an honest and worthy purpose of life, something that I can put my hope in. Until then I am usually content with the hope that one day I’ll find that purpose and the hope that comes with it.