Wendy - Colton, California

Years ago, bored, I asked my teacher, “Why do we have to learn history?” She replied, “So we can learn from our mistakes and not repeat them.” However, as I grow, I have come to believe that history will always repeat itself.

I remember, not too long ago, my uncle was lecturing my younger cousin saying something like, “When you’re older, you’ll be telling you kids the exact same thing.” Although I may have put in some of my own words in that, I agree with my uncle’s point. Each generation goes through the same faults one way or another, whether in war, high school, politics, adulthood, parenthood, etc.

Already, as a freshman in high school, I have experienced just minor events that could have been greatly affected by my choice. I don’t know what could have happened if I went the other way. Whether it could have changed my entire future or couldn’t have been anything serious, I don’t know. However I’m not willing to take the risk.

Sometimes I think that maybe it’s all the examples I have or the fact that I have been mostly influenced by adults, that make me this way. What I know for sure, though, is that in the end it’s just you, alone, with your choice of path.

My goal is to be me and live my own life. I want to grow up as an example to my younger cousins, since I don’t have any siblings. I guess that’s why I’m not influenced by others. Sometimes people say I’m too good, but it doesn’t matter. That never fazes me even for a second. All I worry about is me and the people I love. No matter what anyone says, it doesn’t matter who you are, my mind is set and I will stand firm with this belief. Why? History always repeats itself and I want that to change. I will prove myself wrong, I won’t repeat history.