Cecilia - Chino, California
Themes: family, love

I believe you should never loose hope. Two years ago my life took a drastic turn. My mom’s mom also know as my grandma was diagnosed with yet another cancer. The doctors said she only had a few months to live. My family reacted like every other family would. This news upseted me. I loved my grandparents. I was very close to them and one without the other would never be the same.

I tried to ignore it or not talk about it for as long as I could. I remember hearing my Mom telling an old family friend about it over the phone. Suddenly tears formed at her eyes. Seeing this I turned away not wanting to hear anymore. During that month it was really hard for me. Friends that I’ve known had started to turn. Later my mom even broke her arm in an accident. I had more chores and had to help my mom with the simplest things.

My family was being tested. On my Grandma’s birthday in July we had a party for her. We had breakfast in the morning and even had mariachis sing for her. When her favorite song came on she and my Grandpa started dancing, causing everyone to cry. Even my uncles who never cry were crying.

All I could think was how unfair it was. My aunt was only twenty-five what if she was to have more kids? Would they ever get to meet their Grandma? How would my Grandpa react? The holidays would be different without her. I knew this day would come but I didn’t expect it to happen this way. We all thought this was her last birthday for sure.

I was proved wrong. She didn’t miraculously recover, but she has lived. The doctors keep saying that she won’t live very long. After hearing this multiple times I told my mom I didn’t want to know anymore. But after learning my great-grandma lived seventeen years after being diagnosed with cancer has given me hope. This month she will get to see a new addition to our family. Her newest grandson.