Laura - Maysville, Kentucky

I believe that people are basically good and that we are each placed on this earth for a reason. I was adopted by good parents who wanted a child; they are quick to point out that they are not heroes for adopting me – they were simply dedicated to their desire to raise a family. Maybe their purpose in life was to be my parents and to give me a home. I believe in luck more than fate. I was very lucky to be raised the way I was in the place I was by the people I was. I try to be a good person as I help others in need, and as I don’t judge others whose lives are different from mine, for whatever reason and however they differ. I am a pastor – maybe my reason for being put on this earth (and being raised by the parents who raised me) was to fulfill this role in service to God and in service to others (all God’s children) in the wider world.

I acknowledge Maslow’s “Hierarchy of Needs” and I don’t think we can be our best selves if we are hungry or homeless or worried or in danger. We have physical needs that must be met before we can even think about helping others. Maslow talks about self-actualization – working towards lofty goals and betterment of self and society – only a few of us actually get there, though if conditions are right, we all strive to be our best selves and reach our highest potential, our one purpose or our many purposes.

I believe that life is a gift and a miracle and a mystery, and that we can’t ever know all that there is to know. Knowledge and wisdom are infinite. I firmly believe in science, but I also believe in the unexplainable, in the too-great-for-us-to-understand phenomena. I allow for the possibility of “magic” and for the existence and experience of “fantasy” (fantastic) beings like ghosts, spirits, extra-terrestrials, embodiments, visitations, and visions. My deceased grandmother visits me in dreams, and I have had visions of meeting strangers before I have actually met them.

I believe in life after death. I believe in heaven. I believe we will see one another again after we die. I believe in life as a continuum, and I believe that souls can be reincarnated. I believe we are all on a quest; sometimes we are aware of our goals, visions, and directions, and sometimes we amazingly find ourselves and our lives in just the places they are destined to be. We are fortunate if we can be intentional and involved and aware and enjoy the journey as it occurs and as we help make it happen.