Patrick - Oceanside, California
Themes: tolerance

There’s an old, informal bar room rule that goes something like: “you can talk about anything you’d like, so long as it is not religion or politics.” I believe that it’s high time that we as an American people adopt this rule in the realm, paradoxically, of politics.

We as a nation seem to be polarizing ourselves as far from our neighbors as possible. Fostered by the news media, which has apparently found that the most extreme stances bring in extreme numbers of viewers, the American political scene has, at both the dinner table and in the Congress, very much become a partisan battle royale. One must then stop to wonder, is this ever more real left vs. right culture struggle a reflection of the partisan politics in Washington, or itself the source of the radical ideologues polluting both the media and the Senate floor with extremism?

Enough is enough I say. Both a centralized government and news media exist, in theory, to unify, not divide, a diverse people such as ours. America has always been a nation of minorities, with very different beliefs, working towards the common goal of attaining basic human dignity. Though we have come a long way, we still have much to do, and it seems rather absurd if we are to allow divisive, personal, unresolvable and entirely opinion based issues such as abortion, the innate evil of the other party, etc. divide us as a people and prevent us from accomplishing the progressive goals common to all life loving individuals.

Though I have very much taken my belief to a specified arena, the idea is simple and cross-applicable; that is, human life, not ideals based on personal belief and tradition, is sacred, and in the end, not one of us really knows all that much, so keep your opinions to yourself if all they’re good for is the incitement of ole’ time bar room brawls.