Jessica - Spanaway, Washington
Themes: hope

A dream is defined by Webster’s dictionary in multiple ways, including, “a wild hope or fancy; a series of mental images, ideas, or emotions occurring in sleep; or an ambition.” These definitions show how dreams entertain, intrigue, and inspire me. I believe that dreams really do come true, whether they are only an image in the mind of a child, or the aspiration of an adult.

Every little girl dreams of being a princess. I remember putting on my “Disney princess” pajamas and hopping into my princess-covered bed at night. Even though my wild hopes were unrealistic, I made them real during “make-believe play.” The few minutes of creating my princess dream in my imagination were bliss.

During a recent conversation with a friend, we reached the topic of dreaming. We discussed how amazing it is for the human mind to create images within itself which differ from anyone else’s. For example, I explained that people don’t speak with words in my dreams, and she surprised me by saying sometimes her dreams are not in color, but in black and white. This entire topic is so intriguing to me, but I have many questions left unanswered. What do babies dream about? Do animals dream similar to people? Is a dream really a wish your heart makes?

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream. A dream that one day all men would rise together and become free and equal. His famous speech shows the ambition and effort he put forth to make his dream come true. I choose to follow his creed. I will strive to accomplish my goals to the best of my ability. Dreams come true. “This I believe.”