Umbrella Moments

Chasity - Acworth, Georgia

It was pouring. I was soaked. I hated everything. These are three sentences that encompassed the environment and my mood when my world-outlook changed forever.

That day started with my getting ready for a very important internship interview. I had on my best heels, business attire, and a smile that could kill. I was dressed for success. As I was walking to my interview, it started sprinkling rain. I looked in my bag for my umbrella and, of course, I left it at home. So here I am, best dress and it begins to POUR. I am trying to run to lessen my time in the rain, but with about a half mile to go I was beginning to feel incredibly ridiculous.

I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. I began saying all the “Why MEs?” and “Why TODAYs?” I gave up all hope when suddenly, out of nowhere, an umbrella landed on the wet sidewalk beside my feet. It took a few moments for me to realize what transpired. It was the “here take it” that jolted me into the reality of what just happened. Someone driving beside me threw out their umbrella out of the car window for me to have. This person saw me and, in a split-second, made the judgment call to throw out their umbrella and make someone’s day just a little bit better.

What changed me drastically in that moment was the fact that this person was anonymous. I don’t know who they are, I will never see them again, and they will never be rewarded by their act of kindness. And yet they still acted in kindness. My life before that moment was focused solely on getting the internship, getting into the school, volunteering at this organization, etc. Every “good” thing I did has been rewarded with a scholarship, an award, or a spot on my shiny resume. Up until then I thought that was all that mattered; that I needed the shiny resume in order to get the job that could change lives.

But what I realized is that I don’t need that shiny resume or job to make a difference in someone’s life. If one small, random act of kindness has the ability to make my day significantly better and see humanity in a new light, imagine what 5, 10, 25 random acts of kindness can do!

Yes, bettering yourself and building experience is important. But the power of random acts of kindness is sadly underrated. These umbrella moments can change someone’s day, even someone’s life. The effort to perform these acts is minimal, yet the lasting impact is monumental. Kindness, in its purest form, has the power to change lives and restore a faith in humanity that may have forever been lost. If everyone dedicated a small part of their day to umbrella moments this, I believe, could change the world.