This I Believe

Alex - Boise, Idaho
Entered on May 26, 2006
Age Group: Under 18
Themes: democracy
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.


I very strongly believe in voting. It is an extremely important part of our society and everyday life. Everyone thinks that we as Americans are very lucky because of our rights, but with rights comes responsibilities, and one of them is to vote. It really doesn’t matter who you vote for if it’s your mayor, your president, or even for a junior high election, as long as you take three minutes out of your day to do something for your country.

Many years ago women and African Americans fought to vote. They didn’t fight for us so that we wouldn’t vote. They fought so that all the generations to come could have a better life and pick the leader that they thought was best for their town or country.

Voting truly could change our everyday life. Say Bush hadn’t won and Kerry had, then we might not be in the war where brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends are fighting and being killed.

In school we had a mock election for president. Only about 70% of the student body voted. Just imagine how much of a difference it could have made if the other 30% of the students voted. If people would just stop thinking, “Oh, I’m just one person, I don’t make a difference.” or, “It doesn’t really matter. There will be another election in four years.” Then they would know that it is a whole bunch of “one person”s that make-up the majority. Around half the people in the United States took advantage of their rights and voted last year, in 2004. That is pretty horrible considering that that is probably about how many people died or went to jail for them to be able to vote, and they take it for granted.

I think that for the people who didn’t vote and didn’t have a reason not to should have to see what it is like not being able to vote and having to put up with whoever is in charge. Then maybe they would respect their rights as U.S. citizens, and take the responsibilities that go along with them.

I think it is morally wrong when people complain about who won an election and they don’t even vote. When I hear people doing that I just want to say, “Why don’t you get off your butt and go vote then?!”

It is also very important to vote because it helps you to express yourself. I like to think of voting as putting a little good in the world and receiving a lot more because of it.

I know that as soon as I’m 18 and I can vote that I will never miss an election, and never miss an opportunity to do my job for my country.