Soulful Moments…

Jeffrey - Altamonte Springs, Florida
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I can be out and about my business and normal routines, when quite often and very quickly, I catch the eyes of another person, and it’s almost as though I can see right through into their soul.

Now, I’m certainly no preacher or evangelist. I feel reverent and faithful to a higher power, in hope that in some glorious way, all good souls are connected; regardless of race, religion or gender.

I’ve attended the same gym for many years. There is an elderly woman there of Haitian decent that folded towels near the entrance to the locker room. Every single time I would come in, she would smile at me and it is as almost we knew that there was some goodness in each other’s soul.

There is another man that works with this lady, and he also smiled in the same way with me, even though he speaks very little English. About 4 years ago he became very ill and I found out it was kidney cancer through some investigation with people that work at the gym with him.

I ended up finding out where he lived, and on Christmas morning that year, I brought him a number of packages of presents, even though we had never spoken. We had just smiled at each other all those years.

When his wife opened the door, I could see him walk through the hallway in the background, and he caught eyes with me. He said nothing, but came to me and just reached out to hug me.

There may be one, possibly two other times I have felt that type of joy in my soul and it all came from one simple gesture of love from one good soul to another. I will never, ever forget it.

Clement is his name, he’s Haitian, he’s my good friend, and he is doing just fine today. In fact, he continues to support his relatives in Haiti by sending food and clothing down to them a few times a year, which I continue to support. He is paying goodness forward, and his efforts have been received by many hundreds of people who have much less than he, and he has very little.

So I believe that giving of yourself is a vital part of life. In my 6th year of volunteering with a local Hospice, I continue to hear the words of Henry Drummond: “you will find, as you look back on your life, that the moments that stand out, are the moments you have done things for others.”

I’ll continue to look for good souls in this life, and hope that somehow, someone can see the goodness in mine. If I could bottle that moment up on that Christmas Day morning and go through the rest of my life with it, I would be the most blessed person that ever walked this earth.

Only because I gave of myself, even for just a moment…