Tom - Grayslake, Illinois

I believe in the power laughter. Laughter in my mind holds the greatest power over people in both a good and a bad way. I have learned to embrace what I call the “good” side of laughter. I like to make people laugh. Not only is it funny for everyone, but there is no better feeling in the world than when you tell a joke, and you hear laughter. Laughter can just bring a euphoric feeling whenever it is heard. Whenever I hear laughter, I tend to smile. Laughter can cheer everyone up, when someone is sad, tell a joke, and that person is almost instantly happy, unless you tell a bad joke.

Although laughter is good, laughter can also be “bad”. Laughter goes wrong when it is an individual being laughed at, instead of the general. Laughter can cause people to act differently. When a kid is going to make a presentation, or deciding what to do next, the thing that runs through his/her mind 100% of the time is; will I be laughed at? Will everyone think what I am doing, or wearing, or saying, or thinking, or believing is funny? Will they laugh?

All people get ridiculed in their lifetime. I know I have, which is probably why I like laughter so much now, and probably why before I joke around with friends, I make sure to make fun of myself too in order not to hurt anyone. Because as laughter can bring euphoria, and happiness to any situation, laughter can also cause depression, and sadness, and pain. Laughter is a double-edged blade, and I love it.

I believe in laughter.