Ellen - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: golden rule, love

I believe in the idea of one love. Not the kind of love you would have for a spouse or significant other, but a much more general sense of love throughout the world. The term one love is defined as “…the universal love and respect expressed by all people for all people, regardless of race, creed, or color”.

I believe that any type of people can and should get along with each other. Black people and white people, Christians and Muslims alike should be able to put aside past struggles and differences. The only things separating these people are their different ways of thinking. This tension is all mental, it has to be, because physically, these people are the exact same. Literally.

I believe in one God, Yahweh, Allah, whatever you choose to call him. There are many ways of showing gratitude for what he has done, and many ways of worshipping him. There is no wrong way and the is no correct way. Each method of prayer is as meaningful as the next. There should be no such things as holy wars, crusades, or jihads. There should be no infidels or insurgents. Man should embrace his neighbor as he would his own family. If people of different races and religions are all loved by the same God, others should take notice and see that there’s nothing wrong with other people.

I see no point in hate groups. By these groups, I mean the Ku Klux Klan and Neo Nazis to name a couple. Instead of talking to people who are different, these groups terrorize and kill them. The victims have done no wrong; they were killed solely because they were different than their attackers.

When I was young, I was taught to respect everybody, and not to put others down on purpose. I was taught the famous phrase “never judge a book by its cover”, which I have learned from, and I now know that it’s a persons personality that counts. Their personality makes the person, not any physical traits such as gender or race. Personality is not able to be touched or seen with the eyes, but when you meet somebody and show them kindness, you begin to understand their personality; you begin to understand who they are.

I believe in one love, universal in nature, shared by people of all race, belief, and gender. This, I believe.