Kristen - USA

Interesting Fact: Calves born on dairy farms are taken from their mothers when they are just 1 day old and fed cattle blood as a “milk replacer” so that humans can have the milk. I believe that it is wrong to end the lives of innocent animals, just so you can sit down and eat them for 10 minutes every night. Cows are fed high protein diets that consist of dead chickens, pigs and other animals to produce massive amounts of milk each day. Naturally, cows produce about 16 pounds of milk per day. But while being fed these high protein diets, they are made to produce about 50 pounds of milk per day.

You think milk is healthy, right? The cows that produce it are genetically manipulated and pumped with steroids and hormones. However, humans continue to consume these products, including the beef that is produced after the cows are sent to the slaughterhouse. It has been found that illegal hormones have been pumped into veal, pigs and chickens.

7 feet long by 2 feet wide. That’s the size of the crates that pigs are kept in before being shipped off to the slaughterhouse. These crates are so small that the pigs cannot even turn around. When baby piglets are taken from their mothers at 10 days old, the mother is impregnated again. More than 100,000 pigs die on the way to the slaughterhouse each year. When they are transported, they are “packed in so tight, their guts actually pop out of their butts-a little softball of guts actually comes out”.

A typical slaughterhouse kills 1000 pigs per hour. In one school day, there are 8000 pigs killed in just ONE slaughterhouse. To remove their hair and soften their skin, pigs are bathed alive in scalding water. At one processing plant, inspectors found hogs that “were walking and squealing after being stunned with a stun gun as many as four times”. One investigation found a farm in Oklahoma where workers killed pigs by slamming their heads against the floor and beating them with hammers.

If you choose not to become a vegan, you should at least eat organic meat, cheese and milk. Organic foods allow the animals to graze freely and eat natural grass. They do not consume unhealthy steroids and hormones that will eventually harm you and your family. These animals live a free and happy life.