Say Cheese!

Sierra - Jacksonville, Florida

Think about how your facial expressions determine people you don’t know view or thoughts about you. For instance, if you have the choice between two cashiers who both have an empty line, you would more that likely chose the cashier that is smiling or looks friendliest. Every individual has a first thought of everyone they meet. The bigger and brighter your smile, the better that first thought will be; unless it’s a creepy killer smile.

We all have bad days and have found it hard to smile in every situation. I personally have a kind, and warm personality, so it’s hardly ever a challenge for me to smile, but I know everyone is not like me, though I find the more you smile, the happier you will be. I’m not proud, actually slightly embarrassed, that once a week I hold a sign on Normandy advertising my job, but I smile and wave. Customers at my job have come in with comments about how welcoming I am. All I do is smile and hold a sign, that’s how simple it is. A smile makes all the difference.

The best way to communicate to people is with expressions and gestures. I once went on a mission trio to Haiti. Though I am part Haitian, I do not speak Creole. The children all know the same phrases in English, just as all of us only knew the basic phrases in Creole. With the exception of those three or four phrases we could exchange with the children in Haiti, we could not converse with out a translator present. Though we couldn’t communicate, every ethnicity understands a smile. When we smiled, they felt welcomed, and when we played with them, they felt loved or at least cared about.

Showing every individual person a smile when you first meet them can make a difference in your day and theirs. If I don’t smile while I hold that sign, my job won’t get as much business. If we had not smiled to the starving children in Haiti, we wouldn’t have made as much of an impact in their lives. Smiling isn’t only for looking nice in pictures it’s an expression to improve peoples mood’s.