The Importance of Family

Lance - Tiskilwa, Illinois

Jim Butcher, an American novelist, once said “When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching — they are your family.” This is shown in my family. They have molded me into the man I am today, for which I am incredibly grateful. I know that they will always be there for me. My family is so important to me because they taught me how to work hard, how to handle people in a good way, and how to live well.

By growing up with my family, I have seen and learned how to work hard. For the past 27 years, my dad has farmed the land around our home and raised livestock. He also picked up a job at the nearby wind farm. He runs our farm (with the help of my brother) while having a full-time job. He is the best worker I know. My mom has dealt with three kids being in sports year-round and has helped on the farm quite a bit. My siblings are all examples of hard workers, too. Through example, my family has shown me how to work. I believe that I am at college for engineering because I was taught a good work ethic by my family.

By watching my families’ interactions, I have learned how to handle people, since the world has a lot of people that are difficult to deal with. My dad has a gift to be able to talk to anyone, and I try to learn that skill from him. However, my whole family is pretty good at talking to people and being able to keep a conversation flowing. We deal with disrespectful people in a good manner by avoiding conflicts.

My family has also taught me how to live well. One of the most important things they taught me was to have good relationships with my siblings. In addition, my parents taught us kids to enjoy the little things. We went on a lot of vacations as a family, but we were always told that we worked for those vacations; they were not given to us. We were taught to enjoy giving gifts, rather than just receiving them. We were expected to value our money and spend it on items we needed. We were also taught to see the good in people. We weren’t supposed to judge other peoples’ wrongs because we had different wrongs of our own. Growing up in a Christian home, we were taught to live morally and to be Christ-like. I would think that my friends can say that I try to be Christ-like as much as I can. In my family, this is living well.

In this world, everyone has something they hold on to. For me, that is my family. I believe that my family is my most important possession. Not only have they taught me how to work hard, handle people, and live well, I know that they will always be there in my time of need.