Please and Thank You

Roy - Oakhurst, California
Entered on March 23, 2013

  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

I believe that being polite is necessary and vital to everyday life; it improves our personality and relationship with others. I believe that because as we become more polite we will become more charitable, kind, and compassionate. Simple words such as: please, thank you, or you’re welcome, are what bring more civility to this world. A lot of times, a man will hold the door open for someone and that person will walk through like they are entitled to that door.

I believe that if every person in the world took a moment to say those few kind words the world could be a better place. It’s not so much about just saying the right words, but also asking instead of demanding. When you take the time to tell someone thank you validate their time, effort, and prove that someone notices them. It’s simple words that can change a person’s day because let’s face it . . . we’ve all had that day they we tried so hard to do the right thing and no one noticed. Just knowing that someone realizes your work makes you feel better. I say please and thank you because I know how it makes me feel and I want to be the guy that changes someone’s day from happy to sad so they know I noticed what they do for me. It allows someone to feel more compassionate to help someone or do more for others. I have seen people go from impatient to patient with the use of thank you or please.

I have seen angry tired waiters go the extra mile to help one of their customers. If senators or politicians used this word more sincerely I believe that more things would get done in the government. There is just something about hearing the basic words you learn as a kid that takes you to the good ole days when everyone practiced what they were taught. Just hearing someone being decent to you motivates you to return that same decency. I know that if we all remembered our basic upbringing others would have a greater to desire to help others or compromise. I see people opening doors, making food, and handing out flyers to students. Just about 30% percent of these students use the “magic words.” The other 70% just keep on with what they are doing. I believe that these words are important they are short words and only take a minute to say but they mean a lot.

I believe that we as a generation can become more humble, kind, compassionate, loving, and charitable if we say please and thank you. Please, people, use these magic words! I know they will make us better and kinder.