Nicole - Denver, Colorado
Themes: parenthood

I believe in something I never really thought much about in the past. Now I think about it every day. I find myself perusing websites about it. I buy books about it. I seek the company of others like me.

I believe in something that appears to be a simple in nature, but is really very complex. I believe in something pure and primal. I believe in something sweet and serene. I believe in something exhilarating and exhausting. I believe in something that is hard to describe, even when I live it everyday. I believe in something many take for granted. I believe in motherhood.

Motherhood surprised me in many ways. When I was pregnant, I knew I was going to have new responsibilities as a parent. I knew I would have to take care of a baby 24/7, with the help of my husband. But, what I didn’t know, or expect, was how becoming a mother would change me.

People say that becoming a parent will change you in ways you could never imagine. I didn’t believe them, but now I know it’s true. First, I never thought I would have children. And, I certainly never thought I would breastfeed or sleep with my baby. I never thought I would write letters to my State Senator in support of a workplace lactation bill. I never dreamed I would fight with my employer to gain access to a private place to pump my milk at work.

One year after the birth of my daughter, I am still surprised at how motherhood has changed some of my beliefs and reinforced others. Every day, I learn and grow with my daughter.

I believe mothers are critical to our present and even more so to our future. Mothers bring a special love and kindness into the world. Mothers shape the lives of babies from the moment they first meet. I believe in motherhood. This I believe.