Rachel - Springfield, New Jersey
Themes: integrity

Trust is the most valuable thing one can ever earn. I believe trust builds the foundation of a good relationship with someone. I know that I can’t be myself with someone unless I trust them. When I trust someone, it relaxes me to know that this person can be told secrets, or can give me good advice that I know is honestly given. Without trust, the relationship could fall apart.

I was brought up as a very honest person. My parents knew that when my grades would come, I would always tell them what I earned. I never even faked sick! I always told my parents what I was doing and what had happened. Whenever I would come home from being out, the first thing I did was tell my mom everything that happened. Nothing is hidden from my parents and they know that I can be trusted. Because I am currently at college, I am three hours away from my family. But still, the relationship goes strong. Not a day goes by where my phone doesn’t ring at least twice a day – a call from my mother. All I can say is thank goodness we have a family plan.

Since I am so trustworthy, I expect nothing less than the same from my friends. When I was in 9th grade, I joined a youth group to meet new people. My high school class was only about 150 students and I had grown up with them, so I wanted to branch out. I was extremely shy in middle school and I thought a new environment would evoke the extroverted personality I knew I had. The first event that I went to was a weekend convention. I was standing in a room where it seemed that everyone else already knew each other. I approached a boy and had a conversation with him. It turned out that he was staying at the same house I was!

I felt secure knowing that this friendly boy that I had been talking to, was staying with me. We had good conversation and I felt that I connected with him. Throughout the convention, our relationship grew to that of close friends. I felt like I could talk to him about anything, especially since we had a lot in common. After the convention we stayed in touch and eventually started dating. He was my first boyfriend and within only a week he has seriously betrayed my trust. I immediately ended the relationship.

The experience made me realize the importance of trust in a relationship. I was shocked to realize that somebody could treat someone who was as trusting and honest as I am, that way. I had done nothing wrong to deserve this treatment! I also learned that I shouldn’t be so naïve with trusting people. I believe that it is important to really know someone before I trust him/her; trust is that valuable. This way, any sort of relationship I have will be genuine and honest.